Increasing vitamin D deficiency in humans has been linked to the use of sunscreen

In recent years, worldwide, scientists and doctors have begun to work hard to explain how important the role of vitamin D is to our health. Especially due to the fact that many of us are deficient in this vitamin. We already know that most of it we get under the influence of sunlight. Of course, there are also products, especially milk, fruit juices and bread, which are artificially enriched with vitamin D. But the problem is that it enters the body most effectively and qualitatively with ultraviolet rays, which in turn even and in small quantities are harmful to our skin.

However, in 2017, a popular medical journal published an article that collected news headlines claiming that sunscreen use was partly responsible for the growing vitamin D deficiency worldwide. On the one hand, the use of such means protects against some serious dermatological diseases, including and oncological. On the other hand, however, if the sun protection factor actually interferes with the entry of vitamin D into the body, then mankind is facing a serious problem.

Is the claim that sunscreens prevent vitamin D from the sun really true? And do we have to give them up in order to fill the deficiency of this important vitamin for health? These questions were posed in a new study designed to determine whether active use of high sun protection factor (SPF) sunscreens can actually provoke bone fragility and insulin resistance. And also raise blood pressure as well as lower immune function? According to Victoria Werth, professor of dermatology at the University of Pennsylvania, the accents are not quite right.

“I think people worry too much about vitamin D,” she said in a commentary for the world-famous Time magazine. “The risk of skin cancer is ultimately much more serious than lowering the level of this vitamin.”

Melanoma is one of the most common oncological diseases, so the prevention of skin cancer should definitely concern us more than the risks associated with vitamin D deficiency. Moreover, this vitamin, even if not in such impressive quantities, can be get from food: fish, egg yolk, mushrooms, fortified products and supplements.

Dr. Werth explains: “Our skin absorbs 2 to 7% of sunlight depending on the SPF of the sunscreen. So if a person uses a sunscreen with SPF 15, then only 93% of the sun’s rays are blocked. The remaining 7% is enough to provide you with vitamin D”.

And to stop worrying about the level of vitamin D, experts explain that one hour on the street with a sun protection factor SPF15 is enough to get the necessary amount. And without sunscreen – no more than 10 minutes.

Rating
( No ratings yet )
Loading...
News and articles about the garden and vegetable garden